Finding mold in your attic is a fairly common occurrence. They are often damp and if you have leaks or attic window leaks, water can easily collect and draw mold. If you do find mold in your attic, it is important to take the proper steps to eliminate it as soon as possible.
Mold usually appears greenish black and is streaky. However, there are many different types of mold that can appear in your attic, so if yours is somewhat different, you should still be concerned about its appearance.
The bad thing about mold is that most types can cause health problems if it is present and inhaled for an extended period of time. For this reason, it is important to get rid of it as quickly as possible.
Since this mold has been found in an area that is not often visited by guests and is not usually seen by anyone, it may be tempting to leave it alone. Some may also avoid addressing mold in the attic because removal of it is rather expensive and can take some time. However, it is never a good idea to leave mold in your home, even in an area that you do not frequently enter.
There are many health problems associated with mold. One of the most common is difficulty breathing, asthma attacks and the development of asthma in those who have previously not been affected by this disease. Others find that constant upper respiratory infections, allergy symptoms, sinus infections, fatigue, headaches and sore throats are also signs of being affected by mold.
Even if you find mold in your attic, away from your family, spores of the mold can easily move throughout the home and reach you and your family. So, even if you are never in the attic, it is possible to be affected by it.
While some people prefer to clean up the mold on their own, others prefer to call in a specialist. One of the benefits of a specialist is that you will be able to receive an inspection as well as advice on the best way to clean up the mold. Most home owner’s insurance policies will also cover the cost of a specialist as well.
When cleaning up the mold issue, you will need to wear protective gear so that you are not affected by the mold as you are disturbing it through the cleaning process. You should also make sure to clean all the clothing that you wore immediately following the cleanup process.
A negative air machine is also a wise investment to use while you are cleaning up a mold issue. With this machine, you will be able to remove any spores of mold that become airborne. Instead of the spores floating through the house, they will be pulled out of the home.
If you choose to hire a specialist, they will bring in all the supplies and tools that they need to get the job done right. However, if you decide to complete the job yourself, you will be able to find everything that you need at your local hardware store.
Call Water Damage Zone, Inc. today (877) 520.1923– your future bills may be a lot smaller, if you follow these simple tips.
We specialize in the following services:
- 24/7 Emergency Response
- Water Extraction
- Water Damage
- Direct Billing to Insurance
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Water Cleanup
- Water Dry outs
- Visual Mold Inspections
- Sewage Damage Cleanup
- Sterilizing & Odor Removal
- Licensed & Bonded #963976
- Reputable Los Angeles based company
Water Damage Zone, Inc.
15115 Califa St. Ste. C
Van Nuys, CA 91411